Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A GOOD DAY FOR WINNING!

Just a quick post today to tell of some things that bring me joy. We take a taekwondoh class 2 times a week as a family. Hubby and I prayed for a long time for something we could do as a family to bring us closer, and this is what God gave us. We've been it it for over a year now, and all 5 of us have an advanced green belt, and a little over a year to go before earning a black belt.
We are learning in this class: COURTESY, INTEGRITY, PERSEVERANCE, SELF CONTROL, AND INDOMITABLE SPIRIT. We observe the tenets of taekwondoh. We dont mis-use taekwondoh, we respect our instructors and seniors, we will be champions of freedom and justice, and we will build a more peaceful world.
What we have learned in this class is invaluable. My son Hunter and I entered our first tournament on Saturday and since this is a part of our life, that God has given, I feel it's ok to share. It costs quite a little bit of money to be in this sport so we have to pick and choose who does what. Hunter earned his spot by being the hardest working in the class of my 3 kids. I earned mine by being mom. I wash the gi's, iron when necessary, take charge of belts and sparring equipment, get us to class on time, etc.....It's alot of work!

Hunter is 8 and went up against some pretty tough competition. His division is 8 & 9 year old boys. He took home a medal for 2nd for the forms division, and a 3rd place medal for the sparring. I am so proud of him. He is our very favorite little boy in the whole wide world.

I also had some pretty tough competition. The tournaments are based on skill and technique, and you develop those by hard work. I took home a medal for 3rd place in the forms division, and a trophy for 1st place in the sparring division. Either one of the girls I sparred could have easily have beaten me, and I did feel pretty beat up when I left. I feel certain that had my instructors not been there encouraging me and giving me pointers I would have walked with something less than what I did. This is a huge accomplishment for me.

Thank you, Master Burleson, and Ms. Stowers!

No comments: